7-Zip is free archive tool similar to WinZip – commercial software.
7-Zip is powerful software which allows you to create, manage and control archive files.
It works in Windows 98/ME/NT/2000/XP/
7-Zip supports many features, some which may not be found in popular commercial compression software.
7-Zip is the best utility to use in place of WinZip without spending any money.
During Installation, 7-Zip doesn’t create a desktop icon. An entry is created in the Start Menu - programs.
Go to Start –> Programs –> 7-Zip –> 7-Zip File Manager.
In 7-Zip File Manager Menu, select “Tools” –>”Options”
Click “Select all” button to associate the list of file types with 7-Zip.
Now you can open those associated file types with 7-Zip.
You can extract / add files to archive, by dragging and dropping the files.
Features of 7-Zip
- Version : 7-Zip 4.57
- Size : 840 KB (Windows 32-bit), 1103 KB (Windows x64)
- High compression ratio.
- Supported formats:
- Packing / unpacking: 7z, ZIP, GZIP, BZIP2 and TAR
- Unpacking only: RAR, CAB, ISO, ARJ, LZH, CHM, MSI, WIM, Z, CPIO, RPM, DEB and NSIS
- Integration with Windows Shell
- Powerful File Manager
- Powerful command line version
- Plugin for FAR Manager